Saturday, November 14, 2009

Towards....the future?


Have you ever had that feeling that you know where you're going except that you don't really know where you're going? Confusing right? What I mean to say is...Sometimes you're told to do something (For example: In Persepolis, Marjane is told to go to Austria.) but you don't actually know why you're doing it. I've had that lost feeling many times before. I drive off with a goal in mind like I have to get milk! But after driving for several minutes I begin to contemplate where I could be going like McDonald's to get something to eat! Usually I don't think about food when driving though. I ponder about the possibilities of going beyond the state lines just by myself and wonder how far I would go before I turn back...

Marjane is forced to go to Austria by her parents. Her parents want to provide the best life for her as possible even if it means that they have to sacrifice their own lives. Marjane thinks that she would be able to reunite with her parents in the near future when she leaves Iran for Austria. But reality kicks in when she has this eerie feeling that what she thought would happen wouldn't be the case. The end of Persepolis shows us that our paths towards the future are uncertain. If Marjane had not looked back at her parents, she probably would have never known that her mother became very ill and had fainted.

Life is full of uncertainties. We have to somehow overcome all the barriers that we encounter along the road. The road is bound to look scary and difficult but we must push forwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment