Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Playing Dead


Okay. I was reading Persepolis and I have to say I got really confused on pages 31-32. Here's the quote:

"People came out carrying the body of a young man killed by the army. He was honored like a martyr. A crowd gathered to take him to the Baheshte Zahra cemetery. Then there was another cadaver, an old man carried out on a stretcher. Those who didn't follow the first one went over to the old man, shouting revolutionary slogans and calling him a hero."

At first, I thought the first body was just a fake to rally the Iranian people to join the revolution. And since the book said "young man killed by the army", I thought the Iranian people had killed their own person for the cause of the revolution. When the second body came out, I had really thought that the Iranian people were out of their minds. It seemed as if they would do anything for the cause of the war. We find out that the man that had passed away actually died from cancer but the people treat him as if he died for them. EVEN HIS WIDOW GAVE IN AND STARTED YELLING REVOLUTIONARY SLOGANS! Anyways, I don't know what to make of this situation. I guess it would be cool to be remembered as a hero who died for his country but since the man actually died of cancer, it would all be a lie anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment