Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I should title this "Blood Sex and Money"!

Today in class we had two wonderful presentations that set the tone for the upcoming presentations.

Adam's Presentation - The Original Persepolis
From his presentation, I personally learned that Persepolis is in fact a city that existed around 500 B.C. in early Prussia. Adam mentioned that there is a gateway located with in the city known as the "Gateway of Nations". What caught my attention about this gateway was the message that Adam said was inscribed onto the gate. The gateway reminded travelers passing through the city to "Respect all other cultures". This was definitely a message that was well beyond its time. Unfortunately, the city was burned to the ground in 331 B.C. by Alexander the Great.

Katie's Presentation - Novel vs. Movie
Katie shoowed us a clip of Persepolis the movie and I just have to say I loved it! Even though the novel is very good and interesting to read, I liked watching the movie and how the story line unfolded as time progressed. The movie stayed true to the book unlike most other novel to Hollywood films. I think the scenes being black and white definitely brought a sad tone as we saw the characters' lives change because of the war. Since the novel was originally written and drawn in comic-form, I had thought the movie would be very choppy and comic-like. I was very glad that I was wrong because the movie was very well done and not manipulating. Even though we did not finish the movie in class, I am going to finish the movie on my own when I have the chance to.

I look forward to finishing the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment